Monday, September 14, 2020

Riverside Cemetery


During my 17 weeks of being a COVID layoff I focused on doing some neglected work around the house and watching a lot of movies. After all, we weren't supposed to be going out. Once things calmed down a bit, though, I did get to venture out a bit. One afternoon I traveled up to the northside of Denver to take a look at Denver's oldest operating cemetery, Riverside.


Some may find it creepy, but I do enjoy exploring cemeteries and taking pictures. This was my first visit to Riverside, which has a very different feel than some of the city's other older cemeteries, like Fairmont. Whereas Fairmont is quite lush and green with tall trees, Riverside is very much lacking when it comes to greenery. The fact that we've been going through an extreme drought this summer certainly contributed to the very brown and dry look of the cemetery when I visited. The grounds are also surrounded by factories and railroad tracks, so it is not quite as "peaceful" as some cemeteries.


Still, there are a lot of interesting headstones and monuments, many of which have been battered by the elements over the years. One of the most notable residents is John Evans, the second governor of the Territory of Colorado. You will find the name Evans on many things in the Denver area, including Mt Evans, the largest peak due west of the city. Evans is also a controversial figure due to his role in the Sand Creek massacre, one of the darkest moments in our state's history. His grave is large and easy to spot while driving through the grounds.

I'll let the images speak for themselves. Cemeteries are among my favorite photography subjects. Riverside Cemetery is located at 5201 Brighton Blvd in Denver.







No comments:

Post a Comment