Tuesday, February 18, 2020

A Night at the Symphony


Every year my family and I try to go to Door's Open Denver.  This is an event run by the Denver Architecture Foundation where various buildings around town open their doors for the day so people can come in an experience the architecture and history of the structures.  During this event few years ago, I was able to step inside the Boettcher Concert Hall, home of the Colorado Symphony, for the first time.  It was a great experience to see the concert hall, but not quite the same as experiencing a concert there.  I felt kind of pathetic touring the building but realizing that I had spent over twenty years in Denver without taking in a concert there.  Well, over the last few months I have been able to change that.

This past Friday, Valentine's Day, my wife and I took in A Symphonic Valentine at the Boettcher.  The concert featured selections by Mozart, Strauss, Tchaikovsky, and more.  Several of the selections featured vocals from soprano Laquita Mitchell.  This was actually my second concert at the Boettcher in the last few months.  Last fall I went with my kids to see a screening of The Goonies with the score performed live by the Colorado Symphony.


Even without experiencing the music, the Boettcher is quite an impressive hall.  Built in 1978, it was the first symphony hall constructed in the round.  From most spots in the hall, you end up feeling quite close to the musicians.  The Boettcher is just one of no less than eight theaters that make up Denver's Center for the Performing Arts.

A Symphonic Valentine was a great concert, but the best part was just getting to spend the night out with my wife on Valentine's Day.  We don't get to do that as much as we would like

No comments:

Post a Comment