Saturday, February 22, 2020

Colorado Freedom Memorial


We had a beautiful, sunny and warm day today in Denver.  Of course, snow is on the way tomorrow.  So, I felt the need to get out a bit, especially since I've been couped up in the house for the last few weeks.  I managed to twist my ankle recently and so I haven't been able to be out and about.  But, now that I'm walking a bit more normal again, it was time to explore.  So, I decided to head over to Aurora to take a look at a site I'd never seen before, The Colorado Freedom Memorial.


The Memorial's glass panels display the named of over 6,000 Coloradans killed in battle or missing in action.  It is the first memorial in the United States dedicated to all wars and all branches of service.  Many of the names contained are for individuals who were buried overseas.  The memorial provides a place for families to honor those who were laid to rest far from their Colorado homes. 


The memorial was dedicated on Memorial Day weekend 2013, so it is still a very new addition to the Denver area.  The memorial is easy to find, half a block north of 6th Avenue on Telluride Street.  Stop by sometime and honor those Coloradans who made the ultimate sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment