Saturday, January 11, 2020

South Valley Park


Last weekend was the first Saturday of 2020, and we had a beautiful sunny Colorado day with temperatures in the low 60's.  The perfect day to go out for a hike!  Now, my wife is the one who is always great at finding spots we've never visited before.  Somewhere in the back of her brain she had tucked away the name South Valley Park as a spot we needed to visit someday.  It's a great spot tucked away behind the hogbacks, just a stone's throw away from Chatfield State Park, off of C-470 in Jefferson County.


The park features several hiking trails that are easy to tackle. Actually, the only difficult part about the trails that we experienced was that they were quite muddy and had a few snowy patches. It is winter, after all! The trails weave around a number of rock formations that are quite impressive. 



I was blown away that I had never even realized this place existed! Twenty-six years and I didn't have a clue. I can be a bit slow sometimes. At work on Monday I told one of my co-workers about the park and he instantly knew of the place. "Oh, yeah...my kids and I saw a mountain lion there once." I was glad that wasn't part of my experience. I still get a bit weirded out by the thought that I live in a place where one can just happen upon a "lion" when out for a walk. Don't let that deter you, though. South Valley Park is a great spot to enjoy some of Colorado's signature beauty on a simple hike with the family.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment